The HIV Foundation Queensland has established an emergency HIV treatment and services fund for all people living with HIV (PLHIV) living in Queensland. The HIV Emergency Treatment Fund is a pilot program that will be available until 30 June 2017. The Fund will provide emergency funding for HIV-related treatment and services to all people living with HIV (PLHIV) in Queensland, who are experiencing financial hardship after all other avenues of support have been exhausted.
How to apply
You will need to contact Queensland Positive People to discuss your situation. If you do not wish to go through Queensland Positive People, please contact the Queensland HIV Public Health Team or your HIV specialist clinician. This fund does not accept applications from individual PLHIV. Queensland Positive People, the Queensland HIV Public Health Team or your HIV specialist clinician are required to fill in an application form on your behalf.
- A downloadable fact sheet can be found here.
- Applications can be completed through an online form.
- Applications will be proccessed within one to two business days.
The fund is available for:
- Medicare eligible PLHIV who are experiencing financial hardship that may cause delay or cessation of treatment such as the inability to pay for co-payments; and
- Medicare ineligible PLHIV who are experiencing financial hardsharp and unable to access HIV services, and early and ongoing HIV treatment.
Who can apply?
All PLHIV in Queensland are eligible to apply for the Queensland HIV Treatment Fund.
You will be assessed under the following criteria:
- Medicare eligible PLHIV with a low-income health care card experiencing financial stress/crisis resulting in disruption or risk of cessation of HIV treatment; or
- Medicare eligible PLHIV with no health care card experiencing an emergency financial stress/crisis resulting in disruption or risk of cessation of HIV treatment; or
- Medicare ineligible PLHIV with no income or income equivalent to but not greater than eligibility for a low-income health care card who are unable to access HIV services and treatments
What does the fund pay for?
Funds can be accessed for the following HIV related services and treatment:
1. Medicare eligible PLHIV with/without health care card
- Co-payments for 2 months HIV treatment.
- Reviews every two months will be undertaken to determine ongoing access until 30 June 2017.
2. Medicare ineligible PLHIV
- HIV clinical care:
- - Up to two clinical consultations.
- - HIV pathology tests for baseline viral load and,
- - CD4 counts and follow up.
- 3 months generic medication.
- Reviews every three months will be undertaken to determine ongoing access until 30 June 2017.
HIV Foundation Queensland values the privacy and confidentiality of your personal information.
The HIV Foundation Queensland will only receive de-identified data during the application process. All data is securely stored.
For more information please contact:
Queensland Positive People
(07) 3013 5555
Queensland HIV Public Health Team
(07) 3328 9797
HIV Foundation Queensland
Melissa Warner, Principle Public Health Officer
(07) 3054 6100
Find your nearest HIV/sexual health services at